Thursday, November 3, 2011

Religion and such

Disclaimer: If you are religious and/or easily offended don't read this entry.

Now I know I live in the Bible Belt of the south, in a town where the words 'bless his/her heart' are not always nice. Just ask Urban dictionary.com :

1. bless your heart
1: phrase used by Southern women to excuse themselves for speaking ill of someone else.

2: an expression of sympathy or pity.

3: a polite way to respond to an ignoramus, particularly male, who showers upon you flattering but unwanted compliments.
1: "She's as ugly as a mud-fence, bless her heart."

2: "Well, bless your heart, that must have been terrible!"

3: drunk fella: "I think you're beautiful! Even if you were ugly, I'd STILL think you were beautiful!"

recipient: "...bless your heart."



Now with that being defined. I have gone through a rough patch, and yes, it has lasted much longer than it should have. People in my life have sent me encouraging words. However some phrases that are really starting to bother me:
God does everything for a reason
God will heal your heart
God will never fail you
Just pray and it will all work out
Knowing the different definitions of Bless your Heart causes me to pause and be concerned, are there phrases I don't know about???  Are they really saying something nice to my face and then snickering when I say thank you for the encouragement???

Another thing that that really gets on my nerves is the Facebook/Myspace/Twitter updates. Nothing is more irritating that the meanest, nastiest, back stabinist, ( I can make up ists forever!), drunkest, slutiest, wife/husband-stealingist person posting bible verses or God has my back status! Really!?!? Do you think because you say it your Holy or forgiven??? Give me a break! I am not religious, I don't claim to be nor pretend to be. However if you are going to speak the word of God practice it, don't just use it when convenient to you.

Okay I'm done. Sorry if I have offended you, I just felt the need to question these things. Back to normal operations!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Well bless your heart! LOL, sorry couldn't resist being the southern girl that I am. I will however tell you I am your allie or alibi, whichever you need at any given time. I have shovel and am willing to travel.