Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Random acts of Christmas kindness

Tis' the Season of Giving


Welcome to the Christmas Season (yes I said Christmas!)
This time of year we all fall victim to the hustle and bustle of the season. Between family life, Work, decorating, shopping, baking etc. Sometimes we lose sight of what this season is all about. It is the season of giving, giving to others. 
I am a big supporter of Toys for Tots, every year I watch with pride as my children and others approach those large barrels to drop in their contribution. I always keep change handy in my purse or car for the Salvation Army bell ringers. I really think it is important for children to learn charity at a young age and from example.
I have decided this year to do things a little differently. This year I am also challenging you, yes you! My friends, My family, My coworkers, My Emergency Services family to do things differently as well. This year I want to participate in random acts of Christmas kindness. I searched the internet and found so many excellent suggestions! I know the economy sucks and times are tight, lots of these suggestions cost no more than a sheet of paper. 
  I am going to list several that I would love to accomplish . Please join me in brightening the day of others. It can be anyone, you will find a smile is well worth the effort. 

 Please add your suggestions or stories of success! I know we would all love to hear how you passed out smiles to your community!

♥ Buy the lunch of the person behind you in line at the drive thru
♥ Donate blood to the Red Cross
♥ Tape Quarters to vending machines or Parking meters
♥ Go to your local library and pay over due fines for 5 random people
♥ Drop off a bag of school supplies to a local grade school 
♥ Buy hot coco for someone ringing the Salvation Army bell
♥ Pay the dinner bill for an Officer/Medic/Firefighter eating in uniform
♥ Write thank you notes to your children's teachers
♥ Bring in your neighbors trash cans from the curb on trash day
♥ Tape microwave popcorn to a Redbox machine
♥ Leave baked goods on the porches of 3 neighbors
Donate blankets to the local animal shelter
♥ Deliver baked goods to a local fire station/ems station/police station
♥ Buy a scratch off ticket at the gas station then hand it to the person in line behind you 
♥ Buy a gift for a neighbors dog 
♥ Tape candy canes to an ATM machine with a Merry Christmas sign 
♥ Collect canned goods for the local food pantry 
♥ Leave a festive wrapped box on the porch of a needy family filled with food or gifts
♥ Go to a local nursing home and deliver items such as lap blankets, sugar free candies and stuffed animals.


No comments: