Saturday, November 3, 2012

Have you stopped loving your job?

Cindra Dunaway | Monday, October 29, 2012

FEATURED IN TECHNOLOGY AND COMMUNICATIONS

    Do you still love your job? While you’re getting ready to start your shift, do you still look forward to what your day may bring you? For you seasoned folks, do you even remember the feeling of putting on the uniform for the first time? You may have prepared everything the night before your first day—pressing the creases just right, putting on and polishing your collar brass, packing your lunch or dinner the night before and making sure you had a clean notebook to take notes during your training.
     
    Or maybe you’re dreading your alarm going off—hitting the snooze button just one more time. Do you have to talk yourself through getting ready to go to work every shift? Are you racing out the door to relieve your coworker just before being late for duty? Does the sound of ringing phones, alert tones and sirens send you over the edge? Have you stopped smiling? Have you stopped loving your job?
     
    If you’ve stopped loving your job, it’s important to get to the root of the cause. Was it politics, management, policy changes, staffing, coworkers, the public or maybe a combination of them all? Have you become so hardened that you’ve stopped caring about the people you serve? Or maybe you’ve even stopped caring about the folks that you work with. Has the job outgrown you? Has the technology left you behind with your pencil and notepad feeling like an antiquated dinosaur while the new “kid” comes in, typing up calls for service at the same time as texting, Facebooking and updating their Twitter account seemingly? Have you become that grumpy, grouchy, old timer that used to scare the daylights out of you every time you came to work “back in the day?” You know the one—the field unit that worked the road before there were cell phones, laptops and GPS. The one you swore you’d never turn into.
     
    Don’t get me wrong—I’ve been in public safety for more years than I care to admit. Trainees are starting to get younger and younger. The other day, I quoted something from the t.v. show Hee Haw and two thirds of my shift mates looked at me like I was speaking in tongues. When did I become the oldest one of the shift? One good thing: I’ve noticed as a trainer that the younger generation seems to be easier to train because the technology doesn’t scare them.
     
    We all have days that make us want to hang up our handcuffs or headsets. The problem occurs when the feeling never goes away. I’ve worked with some miserable people in my day and let me tell you that sometimes I just want to strangle them with my phone cord! I beg of you, if you’ve gotten to a place in your career where you’ve lost the spark and energy that pushed you to apply in the first place, please—please—please look for another line of work!
     
    Public safety is something that can’t be done mediocre. My husband is a deputy, my friends and colleagues are deputies, officers and firefighters. How do you explain to someone that you weren’t doing your job to the fullest of your ability because you lacked motivation? The public and your coworkers expect that you’re on top of your game—their lives depend on it. If the crappy part of our job—i.e., the media, lack of manpower, lack of appreciation, lack of meritocratic pay, etc.—keeps you from doing the best that you can do, please consider that this isn’t the career for you.
     
    I know this is easier said than done for those who need an income to survive. But is your paycheck worth someone else’s life? If you need a change, think of the things that can get you to where you want to be. Maybe you want to stay in the public safety field. Does you department pay tuition reimbursement? Is there training at your department that you can take advantage of that might prepare you for a different position? Has your attitude kept you from transferring to another division? Think about ways to change that attitude. No one is going to hire or transfer what’s considered a “problem” employee to another division. And don’t think managers and supervisors don’t share that kind of information—they do. Does your department have a gym that you have access to? Run or walk off that bad attitude on your break or after your shift. Be part of the solution to some of the problems you may see. Get involved without expecting anything in return. Volunteer to help out on small projects. If you’ve been at your department for a while, I’m sure you have good experience that you can share. Keep up on trends in the industry. There are tons of free publications on the Internet that can keep you informed on the latest and greatest things that are happening in our industry.
     
    Remind yourself that a bad attitude and poor morale is highly contagious. Do you really want to be the one that’s known for bringing your whole shift down? Think about why you started in the public safety field in the first place. Did you want to serve your community in a significant way? Did you want to help be a part of something bigger than yourself? Public safety professionals are the best of the best! We can accomplish things that look absolutely impossible on paper. We’re the only ones who run toward a problem when everyone else is running away.
     
    I remember reading a newspaper article long ago stating something to the effect that only two percent of the nation’s population could work as a 911 telecommunicator. At the time, I worked at a small but exceptionally busy police department. We often worked shorthanded and basically did the best we could under the circumstances. One particularly challenging night my shift mate Lisa Lewis (Little Lisa as she is affectionately nicknamed due to her small stature) and I were running nonstop between the phones and radio, and just when I thought we had reached our limit, I called out, “Hey Lisa!” She glanced over at me with a "this-better-be-important" look. “We are the top two percent, sister!” She smiled and never stopped typing.
     
    What we do is extremely important—monumental even. Not just to me and the rest of your public safety family, but to those you serve every day. Try to remember why you’re here and that you’re the only one who can let yourself have a bad attitude.
     
    Stay safe, my family.

    7 comments:

    KDH Catt said...


    Thank you. Some days it is really hard to get out of bed and come in for another day. But you've stated some good ideas to overcome that and I really appreciate that! Thanks!

    Unknown said...

    Thank you... after experiencing some personnel issues that have devastated the morale of our department, I sometimes need to be reminded why I do what I do... I did it for years and walked away one day after a horrid, kiddie call.

    It took me over a decade to work up the nerve to come back... I was thinking about how hard it has been being "the old timer" but you know what? I came through training and years of experience with pencil and paper... No CAD, no GPS, none of the fancies we have today...

    I will find another department that doesn't have the political games that this one has. I know they all have them. But I will find a department whose morale is not so decimated... then, it will be nice to be dispatching for all the right reasons again...

    Water Womyn's Musings said...

    Take time for you! Get a massage, try yoga, indulge in a hobby that brings you lots of joy. I was a dispatcher for 25 years! Burnout is an occupational hazard so the things that I suggested are from personal experience! Vacation -- away from work even if it's just a couple days!

    Susan Lester said...

    This was a GREAT post. I too am one that walked away after a bad "kiddie" call. It was my best friends "kiddie". It has taken me YEARS to overcome this. The top 2 percent is absolutely the truth. I just wish I had worked through things before I left because I sacrificed relationships. I missed my co-workers miserably for a few years but the light does come at the end of the storm. I realize now that it WAS time for me to leave. But for those of you who are still able to "hang in" just know that I pray for you everyday. The time has passed for me to return, think hard before you leave. But she is right, the price of a life is not worth hanging on to a job. I wish you all the best and much love!

    Unknown said...

    I have been in the service for 29 yrs and will be retiring June 1,2014. Sometimes I feel like that day won't come fast enough. Then a part of me says - you can do this job - not everyone can - and the general public need you. You must always remember that YOU did not cause the victims to be hurt. YOU are stepping in and providing emergency assistance. There are many creeps out there who call just to vent their frustrations on you, don't absorb it, laugh - call him a freak(after you hang up), shake your head and just say "wow - people" then forget about it. Find a hobby - personally - I have horses and call them my psychologists. My relationships with them easy my mind and heal my soul. I've had many a occasion to come home go to the barn and cry on their necks telling them everything that happened that day. One thing that I have gotten proficient at is the ability to let go. Let go of the calls that had my heart in my throat - innocents being killed or hurt. Major crashes, etc. Meditate and find your own calm place to go.
    Don't just walk away - You are too valuable to lose!

    Melissa said...

    I've got 26 years in on the job, four more to go till retirement. It's going to be a LONG four years. My department is a totally different place than it was when I started, a place that I don't like nearly as much as I used to. I feel so burnt out sometimes listening to the same old petty complaints from people over and over again. Recently I took a call from someone squabbling over a set of car keys with a girlfriend, and my chest actually started to feel tight, I felt trapped and panicked having to take this same stupid call over and over again. Sometimes I think if I get another call from someone reporting some petty Facebook spat or wanting an officer because someone looked at them the wrong way, I won't be able to breathe. Sometimes it seems like the 'real' calls where you get to help someone who really needs it are few and far between. Between this and the massive changes my dept. has undergone that made things miserable, I'm so burnt out I should be carrying a fire extinguisher! I know I'll probably miss it once I'm gone, but for now retirement can't get here soon enough!

    MamaCinCo said...

    I am the mother of a 2%er who amazes me totally. She is also the best daughter, mother and person. Not often acknowledged. Her skill and dedication are top level. Never have I doubted her even when she went through her teen years when she knew more than me, Now she does! Love, honor and respect is not only for wedding vows, it is how I feel about my Dispatcher Daughter~~~~~